In this episode, I discuss the importance of helping people in your business. As real estate investors, sometimes we can be overly focused on making money, and we forget that helping others is important as well.
In order to really succeed in real estate, you must understand that it is a people business. If you have a reputation as someone who always is looking to make a buck from every situation, you will have a difficult time creating meaningful business relationships. You will always be looked at as someone who’s trying to squeeze every last dollar out of every situation.
Below are four ways that you can help others and create powerful relationships.
- Make a list of five people in your industry that you know. Now come up with three ideas that you think will help them improve their business in some way. Send them each the list that you made specifically for them and their business.
- This exercise often will turn into a business meeting where you will connect and create opportunities for them and for yourself.
- Make sure the ideas you come up with for their business are legitimate and well thought-out. Pretend for a moment that their business is your business and give them ideas that you would implement if it were your own business
- When you meet for coffee, ask them about their business and ask them if there’s anything that you could do to help them improve their business this year.
- Be careful not to over-commit your time, but sincerely try to find a way in which you can help them this year.
- Being a mentor for someone is a great way to give back and help others be successful in this business.
In an industry that thrives on finding deals and making money, it will feel good and will make you memorable to reach out and make a sincere attempt to help others from time to time.