This week I am going to answer questions that have been emailed to me over the last several weeks.
In this episode, I’m going to discuss how to prescreen a contractor without wasting time; this is a great question that I received about a week ago. It is difficult to understand where a contractor is going to come in price-wise and timing-wise before having them quote and begin an actual project. The technique I share has worked for me, and it’s a great way to handle the problem.
- Find a property on the MLS that is representative of a property you would be interested in purchasing.
- Invite the contractor to the house, tell them you are considering purchasing it, and have them quote it as if it were yours.
- Do not mislead them, but let them know that you do not own the house, and that they will be competitively quoted.
- This will help you get a feel for their pricing and timing without losing valuable time on an actual deal.
- It would be a good idea to repeat this exercise with two to three contractors, so you can compare apples to apples.