In this episode, I discuss the top 10 things that every contractor should do. In other words, the top 10 things that you should expect from your contractor as a real estate investor. Any contractor listening to this show should take note. I am telling you exactly what real estate investors are looking for in a good contractor. If you do these things, you will instantly set yourself apart from every other contractor in your market.
- Be on time.
- Bring paper and pencil when you are going to quote.
- Itemize your quote – call labor and materials out separately.
- Listen to the investor – don’t do more than necessary.
- Be on the job when you are supposed to be there.
- Have suggestions to problem that come up- try to solve problems without calling the investor every time.
- Suggest cost-cutting measures when possible.
- Add a “fudge factor” into your quote – don’t nickel and dime the investor.
- Complete the job on time – don’t be overly optimistic when quoting timing.
- Clean the job site thoroughly after completing project.
- Bonus – Be professional.
It is surprising how few contractors do these things. In fact, I don’t know if I have worked with a single contractor who does all of them. I do have contractors who cover a lot of these items, but not all of them. Still, I am not giving up hope!