How to know what to rehab:
- Go to open houses in the neighborhood to get a feel for the area.
- Want to be better than the rest but not a lot better
- In many cases, having new cabinets is enough to impress.
- Use granite if the neighborhood dictates.
The house value can only go so high.
I always change:
- Doors–interior, exterior, closets
- Door knobs (brushed nickel)
- All trim (floor and door)
- Outlet covers
- Flooring (refinish hard wood, new tile/carpet)
- Bathroom fixtures
- Bathroom toilet
- Lights (brushed nickel)
I almost always change:
- Kitchen cabinets/countertops
- Appliances – refrigerator, stove, dishwasher
- Bathroom – New floor
- Tub (or re-glaze)
I sometimes change:
- Roof – new layer if possible.
- Basement – (usually paint walls, floor)
You must know your numbers.
BE CAREFUL NOT TO OVER-REHAB!